Manchester United are one of the most famous and most successful football clubs in the world. Instead of wasting your money at the weekend on booze or a cheeky take-away, why not put that towards buying some shares in this great club.
Scroll to the bottom of the page to do just that!
Over the past 25 years, Manchester United have cemented themselves at the top of the English game, becoming one of the most commercially successful clubs in world football. Thanks to success on the pitch and a progressive marketing team alongside, the Red Devils are now third on Forbes’ list of football clubs with the highest turnovers in the world. But of course, financial prosperity in football only comes with success on the pitch.
The man who guided the red half of Manchester to the top of the world game was Sir Alex Ferguson. Considered as one of the greatest managers of all time, by virtue of his longevity, the Scot helped transform the fourth-placed team into the country’s best. At the time which he took over, there was a chasm between United and their greatest rivals Liverpool, so much so that Sir Alex would later go onto say that his ‘greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their f**king perch’. He certainly achieved this, domestically anyway; (Liverpool still have double the honours of United in Europe).
Manchester United haven’t just had one period of eminence. They can also lay claim to being the first English club to win the European Cup, achieving the status in 1968 after beating Benfica in the final at Wembley. That team included greats such as George Best and the captain Bobby Charlton who had won the World Cup with England just two years earlier. The manager was legendary Sir Matt Busby. Also a Scot, he led Man Utd for 24 years, winning five league titles as well as the aforementioned European Cup.
However, during his tenure, he faced tragedy. On the way back from a European tie, the plane carrying the United team crashed at Munich-Riem airport, killing 23, including eight players. Though Busby managed to survive, his team, affectionately known as the Busby Babes, was torn apart.
Since Ferguson’s era of 26 major honours ended in 2013, the once-great Manchester club has undergone some years of decline as a result of substandard recruitment, the reemergence of Liverpool as a real force and the huge economic investment in neighbours Manchester City. Despite this mismanagement, the Old Trafford faithful have still enjoyed some triumphs in recent years. An FA Cup triumph in 2016 was followed by a League Cup and Europa League double the next year.
Though Manchester United aren’t currently challenging at the top of club football, it is only a matter of time before they return. The lure of the club and the millions at hand to entice players and staff to the club will serve them well in their return to the top. For now though, ex-fans’ favourite Ole Gunnar Solskjær, who has injected optimism back into the fanbase, is at the helm. He will be hoping to bring back the fearlessness and never say die attitude of Ferguson’s Manchester United that terrorised opposition players for so long.
United shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange and they can be purchased online within minutes.
Once you have opened a share dealing account with Hargreaves Lansdown you can buy shares in Manchester United with ease. You just need to follow the simple instructions below. And don’t forget, you can of course cash in and sell up at any time when the markets are open!
Remember, these are not novelty shares, you are buying real shares in a real football club! You can now tell your mates that you’re a Manchester United shareholder! Congratulations!
NOTE: United shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange which is open Monday to Friday between the UK hours of 1430 – 2100. You can trade outside those hours but it is advisable to do business during the 1430 – 2100 UK window. Deals are also made in U.S Dollars. Click here for the current exchange rate.
STEP-BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- Download the free guide to investing information (not necessary but it’s currently available for free!)
- Open a free share dealing account (this takes 5 minutes, you must be a UK resident and over 18)
- Having deposited funds, click HERE or click on ‘Share Prices & Stock Markets‘ on the Hargreaves Lansdown website and use the search facility and type MANU and select Manchester United plc USD0.0005 A
- Click on the green ‘DEAL NOW’ tab (remember you can only buy shares during weekdays when the markets are open)
- You will then be presented with a deal screen as shown in the example image below. For deal type, select ‘BUY’ and select either the number of shares you want to buy or select ‘pounds sterling’ for the total amount you want to invest. Remember to tick the ‘including charges’ box if you don’t want to spend say more than £20 in total (there is a small transaction fee of £11.95, the rest would be used to buy shares) or leave that box unticked if you are happy to pay the fee on top of the amount of money you want to spend on actual shares.
- Place your deal and wait for your instant confirmation to come through by email.
- You are now a shareholder!
- Keep an eye on your shares and hope your club is successful!